Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Ever had a Power Supply (PSU) death?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Ever had a Power Supply (PSU) death?

    So last night I was browsing the web looking for images to use in my upcoming Powerpoint presentation and *woosh*, the screen goes black and I receive a message saying, "No signal." The light at the bottom of the screen has also changed to the standard dark yellow/orange color when not receiving signal as opposed to the standard green color.

    I'd been hearing my PC fans making some awfully weird noises within the past few weeks, so I figured it would eventually bite the dust, and sure enough, it did last night.

    I gave up on trying and just turned my PC off the rest of the night and flipped the switch off on the PSU and hoped that today it would work. I came home, and sure enough, same crap. When I turn my computer on, it either turns on and goes black after a few seconds, or it simply doesn't receive any display at all. It's gotten to the point to where it does the latter option almost always now, so I'm pretty sure that my power supply is simply dead and I'm going to have to buy another one.

    I even took the case off my PC and turned it on to investigate the fans, and my CPU fan was working, my video card fan was working, but my (PSU) fan on the back of the PC was sitting still. Another sign of a dead PSU.

    I've tried everything .. from blowing any remaining dust out of the PC to completely removing and disassembling the PSU to see if there's anything that looks fishy inside it. I can't see anything wrong, and it isn't packed with dust inside, so I guess it's time for me to buy another power supply - and I hope that's the problem for sure, because I'd hate to blow my money on ANOTHER one only to have it not boot for another reason.


    So has anyone else ever had this happen to them? I'm so mad right now .. I have to have a Powerpoint presentation by Wednesday and I am currently out of options. The only option I have right now is to use this computer I'm currently typing from (my brother's), but it is extremely low on diskspace (only has a 5 GB harddrive) and I'm not even sure if I could install Powerpoint on it without it eating up the last bytes of memory like Pac-Man at a Chinese buffet.

    Oh well, on to the next system..
    Officially retired

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ever had a Power Supply (PSU) death?

    Sounds exactly like what happened when my power supply bit the dust on my gateway, i pretty much just called them and they sent me a new one. not sure exactly how you can fix your problem but good luck with it

  3. #3
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ever had a Power Supply (PSU) death?

    When I still taught in the Computer Lab, I had that very thing to happen quite often. It wasn't a big deal to replace it though.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •